Saturday, September 08, 2007

Stone arch again

Laguna Arch
5 x 7 oil on canvas panel
copyright Jeanette Jobson


I seem to have an affinity for this scene, as I've draw it several times in pastel and now in oil paints. I wanted to explore a bit more with oils and tested the waters with a triangular knife that was quite fun to use again.

I used the oils straight from the tube more or less. The less, being a touch of turps to thin the paint a little as some colours were stiffer than others out of the tube. Previous attempts were rather thin on the canvas and although the concept was there, it wasn't what I wanted. I want to get those bold strokes of colour that blend together at a distance into perfect sense, but make no sense viewed up close.

This still lacks quite what I want, but is heading there. I need more colours and stronger values in this painting. The stones were quite pale as was the sand around it, but some reddish browns in there would bring it more to where I want it I believe.

So here's the stone arch at Laguna Beach again.

No comments: