Monday, June 30, 2008

Eyes

I've been doodling off and on this weekend and as its a 4 day weekend for me, I feel a little guilty that I haven't made inroads into the drawing projects that I intended to. I played around with a sepia coloured pencil and this white cat that has potential but isn't too special at this stage. I do love drawing eyes. I think I need to try a whole page of them just to get them out of my system for awhile!

I did however start a more complex drawing of a lovely tropical plant that involved a lot of detailed drawing and use of negative space. I love the challenge of drawing complex subjects freehand. I rarely use grids anymore and rely on my eye/hand to put me in the right place. Most of the time it works. I truly enjoy the process of drawing and seeing it develop under my hand.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree eyes are quite compelling. Though I'll say that I think this little image is quite interesting. I like the "less is more" aspect.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Minimilistic drawings always appeal to me as well Tracy. Simple pure line drawings are my favourite.

Cathy Gatland said...

That eye is so luminous Jeanette - I also like all the white space that emphasises the sensitive drawing.

laura said...

This is so lovely, so sensitively done, with great observation and tenderness.

Marsha Robinett said...

This is beautiful...I like how the eyes stand out and the rest of the drawing slips into the background. I agree, eyes are fascinating subjects. Well done.