Monday, September 06, 2010

Conception Harbour


I wandered around Conception Bay yesterday.  The sun was hot and the wind strong with the tail of Earl creating white caps on the water in open areas.  In sheltered areas, the sun was hot enough to singe you in minutes.

There are a number of tiny villages on the edges of Conception Bay, some that I hadn't even heard of like Kitchuses.  The view was beautiful and almost like another world at times.  Some of the sheltered coves were meccas for yachts and sailing boats along with the mix of small fishing vessels.


A little brick coloured dory caught my eye as it sat in shallow water almost on the beach.  This is the result in oils on 5 x 7 canvas panel.   This is available for purchase here.  Just click on the Under $50 tab at the top of the page to view it and more pieces.

7 comments:

Christiane Kingsley said...

Jeanette, I love this painting...I feel as if I could just reach out and touch that boat!
You live in such a beautiful part of the world; what a great source of inspiration for an artist.

I have just updated my blog roll to add your wonderful site.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Christiane, the province does have some breathtaking scenery and is a never ending source of inspiration.

Thanks for the link on your blog roll.

Dhiraj Deka (D.D) said...

Beautiful composition. It's so lively.

laura said...

Gorgeous, love the colors; and you've drawn the boat's lines so beautifully. The way you've painted the water is refreshing!
Everything you do is beautiful!

AK said...

Very interesting and creative blog. Keep going.

RH Carpenter said...

I like this, too, and I think the muted colors helps that warm coloring of the dory really glow.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks DD. I wanted it to remain loose, but there's likely a detailed piece in its future someday.

Laura, thanks for the kind words. Some days things work, some days not. Boats are quite interesting to paint or draw - and challenging too.

Thank you AK. I don't think I could stop if I tried.

Rhonda, it was a quick piece that came together. Most of my work is fairly muted. Just my style I guess.