Saturday, March 19, 2011

Waiting



Oil painting is all about patience.


This is a small piece that I started last night.  I wanted to play with smooth transitions of colour and value and test my application and brushes.  This is as far as I can go with it until it dries a bit.  Depending on the technique I use, I usually end up waiting for a piece to dry for a few days before additional layers can be added, so they don't move the previous layers.  The wave is a deliciously beer-coloured roll of water, usually found after a storm has churned up the bottom of the sea, colouring the water with sand and debris.

The painting is 4 x 12" and while it dries, I can go back to work on the gannet which has had its drying time and now ready for the next layers of paint.

2 comments:

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Greetings Jeanette
Off to a beautiful start here.. Yes, oil is about patience.. I have not used them in years and miss it terribly.. The turps bother me now.. I have not tried the waterless oils (makes not sense to me) but I have been told they work well.. To me, there is nothing that measures up to oils.. They have such depth and beauty.
I am looking forward to seeing the completion.
Enjoy your weekend.
Blessings,
Penny

Jeanette Jobson said...

You should try them again Penny. The odorless turps are wonderful. I'd as soon use acrylics than buy waterbased oils. I don't think anyone would ever know the difference to be honest.