Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Marbles in progress


Time is really limited lately for painting, so I've been getting up early, sometimes too early, to fit in some painting. The challenges of juggling a full time job as well as an art career all comes down to planning and discipline of 'butt in chair'. I do find that very early morning works well in that respect as there are no interruptions, no phone calls, no meals pending, etc.

For those saying they can't find time, means they don't want to find time or are not serious enough about wanting to reach their goal. That may sound harsh, but if you can find time to watch television or spend hours online, but still say you don't have time to paint, you may like to rethink how you lay out your time. For everything in life, if you want it badly enough, you'll create the time.

So this morning gave me a couple of hours to work on this marble trio. I had taken some reference images at the weekend using good light and great old wooden surface of a antique paper cutter. I'm working on getting the marbles to a degree of finish as well as the reflections, while working on the background which is more a play of light than detail.

It is in oils on an 8 x 16 panel.

4 comments:

suzanneberry said...

these are coming along beautifully jeanette! and your post is so painfully true. i have the luxury of painting full time and i STILL don't get started most days until the late afternoon. time to rethink my time! thanks!

Jeanette said...

I think you're pretty prolific Suzanne and seem to do well with your present schedule. You're painting most days and that's dedication.

I hear from people who don't paint or draw for months or don't market and promote then wonder why they can't push their art forward. Hmmm I wonder why that might be?

I accept that I'm driven and a bit of a workaholic, but I think you have to be in the art business, cause the world sure doesn't come banging on your door without a lot of effort.

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

about 90% of my time I am either in collage or drawing at home :p the other 10% I'm dealing with Sky (notice how I didn't mention house work? :P)

People do have a tendency to say they have no time but then spend hours on facebook :/

Jeanette said...

Yes, you're in the same boat of drawing regularly and having to make time to do so.

Time can be found and also easily squandered.