Saturday, February 28, 2015

Changing paths



On Friday I stepped down from my full time job and am taking on the role of full time artist.  Its not been a simple decision and there has been a lot of planning for lifestyle and financial changes that has gone into making this bold move.

Its interesting to note people's reactions to the move.  Many think that I'm retiring and others believe that 'artist' means I will have lots of free time and can do what I want all day, paint when I want and what I want and generally have a good time.  Its that same old belief that rears its head when asked what you do for a living and when you say "artist" the response is something along the lines of "Great, and what do you really do for a job?" 

Where does the idea come from that creating art is easier and less credible than any other job on the planet? The job of an artist is no different than any other job in terms of responsibilities. You have to get up, go to the studio and paint - whether you want to or not. The difference is that you work for yourself, not for someone else.  That ups the responsibility because only you are accountable for making it succeed.  Only you are responsible for ensuring cash flow, visibility, branding, marketing, production - every department.   And only you are responsible for its success or failure.

So if I lounge around all day and do whatever I want, I'm ensuring the failure of my art business.  If I work hard and follow my art business plan, it still may fail, but I will know that there were factors outside my control that contributed to its failure.

There are incentives to succeed both internally and externally.  They are the best motivation to succeed.

12 comments:

Gary L. Everest said...

Hi Jeanette,
Bravo! I salute your courage and wish you success in your new life.
Sincerely,
Gary

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Gary, I'll give it my best try!

Lisa Graham said...

Very exciting indeed Jeanette and I wish you all the success in the world. I too walked away from my job to paint full time. I think you're right about showing up to the studio and painting whether you want to or not. That is a must. All the best to you.

RH Carpenter said...

Well, my first comment disappeared so will try again. Best of luck on your new adventure. Wishing you great success.

theartistsday said...

How brilliant Jeanette! I wish you all success.
I have found that the greatest advice I was given was ignore the housework. That part has not been difficult!
Mary

debwardart said...

Hooray for you! I have admired how much art you were able to do along with a full time job. Now your art career can really soar. You have everything in place already, and can devote so much more time to what you love. I look forward to hearing how you progress, and have great faith that your new career will be successful.

Unknown said...

Goodluck. I'm sure you will be very successful as you already work so hard on your business.

I was reading the comments on your fb post and was shocked by the suggestion you were retiring. As you say, anyone who was selfemployed in any other career would never get that comment :(

Jeanette Jobson said...

Lisa, thanks for the support and knowing others have gone before me in this venture.

Rhonda, don't you hate it when that happens? I look forward to the future where I can fully concentrate on art.

Mary, ha! oh I so agree on the forget the housework part. I think I have that down pat already! :)

Thanks so much Deb. Its exciting and terrifying at the same time, knowing that I am in full control of making things work. Keeping fingers crossed.

Sue its interesting to hear people's interpretations of why people leave a job. Many presume that if you are of a certain age, its retirement, and presume art is a hobby only, not a vocation.

Ann said...

Congratulations! You absolutely will succeed because you already are successful with your art career. There is only room to grow from here on out :-)

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

I would wish you luck but I believe that we make our own... and I know that you won't need it as you have such a strong work ethic that you will find you already have it in leaps and bounds. Instead I will congratulate you! In a short while you will be asking yourself why you didn't do years ago. What an exciting time awaits. Hurrah!

As for the 'retirement' comments (?) I'm sure you will think that you have never been as busy as you are now. It's great that it is the right type of busy though isn't it?

Jennifer Rose said...

I have no idea where the idea of an artist not being a "real" job came from, but it annoys/angers me when people think that.

anyway, I am wishing you the best in what you do, and considering all of the work you produced with a job, can't imagine how much you will produce without one in the way ;) your studio will be over run with work, which hopefully then sells :D

Jeanette Jobson said...

Ann, thank you. Art is no different than any job: you get out what you put in.

Lisa, that is true, luck is created in many ways. Retirement? Well, I think there is truth in the saying that artists never retire.

I hear that from time to time Jenn. Society thinks of artists in a different way it seems and don't tie it in with work, more like play. If only they knew right??

Thanks for the good wishes. I hope to be able to produce without burning the candle at both ends now and look forward to it.