Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Traveller's tales

I spent yesterday travelling. In reality a fairly short journey by plane (about 2.5 hours) turned into a 7 hour marathon due to flight changes and long waits in airports. But there are always advantages to delays too as I had time to read and draw and people watch.

Airports are wonderful places to people watch and sketch and yesterday I saw all sorts from trendy young men toting designer store bags and wearing clothes that were out of this world, to orthodox Jewish men poring over somewhat 'interesting' sites on one of their laptops from what I saw as I passed by. Then there are the harried parents dragging or being dragged by children shouting their demands, their faces showing resignation and irritation mixed with fatigue.

The clotheshorses came next. Those women whose presence hits you on a wave of expensive perfume long before the sight of them does. I watched one woman teeter on impossibly high stilletto heels and almost felt her pain of walking. At my tender age, I find it amusing how some women are slaves to fashion and designers still. Sure I like to look good, but not to the extreme of causing pain to myself.

So now I'm ensconced in my hotel in Montreal, ready for a set of meetings and all the activity that goes with the process. Wish me luck!

I will post sketches at the weekend when I return home.

3 comments:

Terry Banderas said...

Good luck! Have fun. I'll be waiting to see your sketches.

Making A Mark said...

So I take it that's a 'No' to hitting the shoe shops while you're in Montreal?

I'm trying to remember the person whose painting of an airport waiting area won a prize last year - it's certainly now all 'downtime' when stuck in an airport - so long as you have your trusty sketchbook with you!

Jeanette Jobson said...

well now, I wouldn't entirely discount that Katherine...:)