Saturday, February 23, 2008

Mouths

Roller - Self Portrait
Black & white charcoal with conte 9 x 12 grey Mi Tientes
copyright Jeanette Jobson


This self portrait was a combination of insomnia at 4am and reading Drawing magazine's article on Julia Randall's work at the Jeff Bailey Gallery in New York. Julia's done these amazing coloured pencil drawings of tongues and mouths.
"... Randall makes colored pencil drawings that incorporate depictions of her mouth, resulting in images that are voyeruistic, suggestive, slightly grotesque, and quite humorous..."
Julia's pieces are all that the article's preamble suggest and more. The are fascinating and repugnant at the same time. What else could I do but try out the concept to break my dry spell? The self portrait above is the result.

I enjoyed using charcoal in a more controlled way as I'm usually weilding large chunks of it at life class. There is something a little disturbing about the light and dark with the touch of colour, but that's what I was aiming for. I may do a few more drawings in this medium and subject before its put to rest.

And yes, I can roll my tongue. Can you?

8 comments:

Billie Crain said...

yup, i can roll my tongue. it was a long time before i realized not everyone can. i love this portrait! seems everyone depicts themselves at their best, which is understandable but isn't it fun to just be 'ugly' once in awhile? i applaud your efforts, Jeanette and it's good to see you using a wider range of values.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Its a gift you know, tongue rolling :)

I wanted to do something out of the ordinary, something unpredictable and unique. I guess this is it. And I agree, portraits tend to show us at our best. I want to show the other side of me.

Rose Welty said...

Hilarous Jeanette, I love the concentration in your eyes - is that because you are drawing, or because you are holding your tongue like that? :D

It is a lovely drawing. Hope it gets you over the lull.

"JeanneG" said...

Yes I can roll my tongue. Used to be able to touch my nose, but found that isn't so now. Why is my tongue getting shorter?

I really like the look of this one on the gray. I am the opposite about portraying me. I almost always show me at my worse. Dark circles under the eyes, wrinkles, and all.

vivien said...

it's great! a really good piece of observation and beautifully composed

- and yes I can roll my tongue - I didn't know not everyonc can

Robyn Sinclair said...

This is absolutely fabulous, Jeanette!!!!! I'm being called to dinner but I'll be back tomorrow to appreciate all the posts I seem to have missed. Where do the days go?!

I think I can roll my tongue - I'm off to check.

Tracy Wall said...

How fun of a piece! I like the b/w with a hint of color. How nice to have fun in portraits instead of the typical somber stuff.

BTW, yes I can roll it. (Isn't there some relationship between toungue rolling and intelligence? :P

Jeanette Jobson said...

Rose, I just had to do something a bit different. That's what insomnia does for you :)

Jeanne, most self portraits tend to be fairly sombre and how much you want to show of the 'real' person varies.

Vivien, thanks. The portrait just sort of happened without much preplanning. Sometimes that is the best way.

Robyn, thank you. It was such a fun piece to do. Tongue rolling is a genetic trait apparently...

Tracy, thanks for your comments. I wanted to get away from my usual graphite for a change and like the outcome.