Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Life class





I finally got back to my life class last night and did 16 drawings during the two hours on newsprint with charcoal. The poses are the usual warm up 1 minute, 2 minute, 3 minute then up to 10 and finally 20. I'm beginning to get a little frustrated with the shortness of the poses, as I feel I'm just getting the form down to a reasonable degree and the pose changes again.

I think at the next class I'll concentrate on a tighter view and see if I can develop it more in one of the 2o minute poses. I have been asked to tutor the next two weeks classes as the regular tutor won't be available. Its a mix of interest and frustration to do this. Its always interesting to guide others as they develop their work, but frustrating not to be able to draw at the same time.

Here are a few of the sketches that I did last night of the male model that we had. He's highly energetic in the initial poses, and some make me wonder how he'll ever get up out of them again. He does settle down in the last half of the class and is usually sitting by then which lets me breath again!

5 comments:

Tom Barrett said...

Don't get frustrated, Jeanette. Let these classes be what they are—practice. However, see if the instructor won't let you take a photo of the pose to finish later if you find one you want to do completely. What you have here is great, and I love the poses.

Jeanette Jobson said...

I'll be the instructor next week...:)

Thanks for the kind words Tom. I enjoy the practice in all honesty, but sometimes yearn for longer poses.

Billie Crain said...

i know how much you love detail. i tend to be detail oriented myself but i have to be honest...the sketches you've done in a shorter period of time seem to have much more energy. maybe this is a lesson to us both?

Jeanette Jobson said...

I agree Billie. I know I need to loosen up and do large things - they have more life and movement too them.

I'll perhaps tackle some in colour next on a large scale and see what happens.

drawinghumananatomy said...

I like the concept and really nice. The poses are good as well so keep it up.