Sunday, March 23, 2008

Repeats

Easter Bunny II
Charcoal on Mi-Tientes 9 x 12
copyright Jeanette Jobson


I like my forays into oil but dry media always calls me back. Especially in the wee hours of the morning when sleep evades me. The little ceramic rabbit was still sitting on the table so at 5am, I drew it again.

Its an interesting process to draw the same subject over and over. Each time I see new things or notice subtle changes in light and shadow that I didn't notice before. Yes, the lighting has changed, but the subtleties are always there. I may try it again in coloured pencil next. Creating white using everything but white is such fun to do.

I'm enjoying using charcoal on toned paper and I must haul out some other hand made coloured papers in my art cupboard and see how they perform. I will also buy some other toned papers for charcoal when I get a chance. I'll be in Toronto and Ottawa in May and hope to do some stocking up then.

6 comments:

"JeanneG" said...

I really like this one. The touches of white really show the ceramic look of the rabbit.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Jeanne, it was fun to do.

Laurel Neustadter said...

This is stunning. I can't believe it is charcoal! The ceramic shines. I like the white/gray color scheme. It is very calming.

Jan said...

I didn't comment on your oil rabbit in the other post but I do like it. However, your charcoal rabbit is just WOW! Dry media is definitely your thing but I think you could work successfully in any media you desire.

Sometimes working on the same subject again is boring and sometimes there are new "revelations" about the subject that make it worthwhile to explore again.

That the rabbit is made of ceramic definitely shows in this drawing!

Anonymous said...

I like this one alot,the tones and touches of white work really well.

Gayle Mason said...

I love how you have captured the solidity with such a few strokes.