Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Banana kiss update



I've been working on several pieces at once, as I usually do, as well as putting together a new artist statement.  There are so many things going on in my head, if one could see inside it would consist of many rooms all filled with activity and new projects being plunked down on the table in each room sometimes before the first has even gotten underway.

And for me, that's pretty much the norm.  I sometimes wonder if other creative people's mind work similarly, then another thought comes in and moves the first away for later.

Last night and early this morning I started adding some colour to the drawing that I did on Sunday.  Its fairly basic values right now but will start getting some form soon.  This is the banana flavour of this brand of candy, not a flavour I like and the colour of the candy inside the wrapper is about the same colour as the wrapper itself.  An unwrapped candy is yet another piece in the pipeline.

Meanwhile, I'm still printing fish as and when I get them.  Later this month the food fishery starts so I will be able to access some whole cod.  Yes, on this island, we receive permission from the government for a week or two a year to go catch a fish that has been one of the world's staples for hundreds, if not thousands, of years.  No, I won't get into that debate now.  Its long and heated.

I also have a side series of fish images in oils on fairly large canvasses.  One down, two or three to go.  I will be setting a date and venue for the workshop I have planned for gyotaku in the spring.  Yes it seems a long way off, but time flies by and I want to have the basics in place so its one less thing to think about.

6 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

banana flavoured candy usually tastes minging blah

i think a lot of creative people's minds work like that so many ideas and thoughts going through their head. I remember reading an article that creative people's minds are like someone who is schizophrenic, was interesting to read

Jeanette Jobson said...

Yep I agree Jennifer. Not pleasant and seems not an easy flavour to replicate well.

You know, I don't doubt that for a moment. It warrants some research.

Jennifer Rose said...

a couple articles on the subject
news site

science article

might be boring to some

RH Carpenter said...

I think your mind is probably typical but you use the energy to not just think, but do! I would not like to eat a banana taffy - yuck - but I think this painting will be delicious!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks for the links Jennifer. Quite interesting reading and likely true too.

Thanks Rhonda. I'm not a candy fan so I have bags of props sitting around the studio that will never be touched. Not willpower, I just don't like them.

sue said...

This is pretty amazing, Jeanette! I love seeing the variety of what you take on. Still really enjoying my beautiful Masai woman...