Wednesday, June 13, 2007

New toys

They're here. But they come with a price tag. A little notice was in the post box that there is a parcel for me at the post office, with $11.47 owing on it. Most likely the duty that the Government wants to suck out of me for the privilege of being able to order art supplies from the USA. I find it so frustrating not being able to buy the range of supplies that I want within Canada and having to order from the USA. The pricing is great as the US/Canadian dollar exchange rate is so good right now - about .94 cents Cdn. to the US dollar when last I heard. But then they ding me for duty. So much for free trade. Hmph.

However, I guess I can't complain, I'm probably the only person in Newfoundland who will have wads of Colorfix paper and the full range of Derwent Drawing pencils! Now, to get back into Torbay before the post office shuts at 5pm.....there is the challenge during the week. I may just have to wait til Saturday morning to go there and pick it up. But I want it nowwwwwww......

Here a little sketch of Tripod, sleeping soundly like an old man on his side head up, mouth open slightly. Can you hear the gentle snores? He's priceless.

And as of the time of writing seven ducklings have hatched, Pekins and mixed breed. They are so cute, I just love baby ducks - adults to for that matter. I watched a pair of the Pekins in the back garden the other day. The female was frantically sifting through the flowerbed looking for bugs as always while the male stood there looking for all the world like a bored husband waiting at the mall. It was funny, I wish I'd had the camera then. The Pekins and a mixed breed male have claimed the pond for their own. I must say they do look great on the water. The contrast and activity there is so natural. Sometimes the Embden geese wander down and make them all leave, but for the most part they spend their day there in peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you enjoy the new toys! Lovely sketch of Tripod, who looks VERY comfortable!

Jeanette Jobson said...

I can't wait to go get them on Saturday Dave! Thanks, Tripod does make himself pretty comfy...