Friday, January 11, 2008

Winter landscape

This is the view from my bedroom window in the morning. Although I'm not a great fan of winter, I love the pristine look of a new snowfall when everything is coated with white and all that can be seen are new tracks of animals to break the expanse of snow.

Even on a day filled with heavy snow clouds, there are still so many things to inspire art in this landscape. I need to be brave and get out there and take some photos and braver still, wrap up and settle into a snowbank for some sketching or painting.

And I will. The only problem in this province tends to be the wind. There nearly always is a 'breeze' which to most others means windy. So you fight against the cold and keeping paper, hair and scarves out of your eyes while you draw. But I will persevere. I still have my monthly Flatrock landscapes to make a start on and this may be the weekend to begin.

Watch this space!

4 comments:

Tracy Hall said...

It does look beautiful, Jeanette, but I suspect we get similar 'breezes' hereabouts and you are a braver soul than me if you will venture out to sketch in that!

vivien said...

you are a heroine thinking of plein air in that weather!

I'd hibernate :)

Jeanette Jobson said...

I can cope with the snow and cold if its dry and not too windy. Unfortunately it turned to rain before lunch so that pretty much put a stop to my plans for any plein air for today.

But there's always tomorrow and I have a few spots already in mind.

Making A Mark said...

I cannot quite believe you're contemplating plein air in this! How different from when you lived in England!

I know I can't draw in windy conditions - I find it very distracting. I usually settle for sketching from inside the car when it's windy.

Have you tried manufacturing a windbreak? It just occurred to me that it might be a handy year-round item of equipment.