Monday, April 28, 2008

The Joys of Spring

There is a northeast flow of air which means cold, damp, foggy air and a northern wind that blows ice our way. The days are grey and all of the colour seems to wash out of the landscape. Kevin Spacey, when filming The Shipping News here, was quoted as saying that Newfoundlanders have four seasons: summer, fall, winter and misery. April is misery. There are teasing glimpses of heat and hints of green new growth only to be smothered by freezing rain or days socked in with bonechilling RDF (rain, drizzle and fog).

By the way, don't judge Newfoundland by The Shipping News. Its beyond depressing, that movie, and doesn't bear any resemblance to the reality of the province.

So in weeks like this, I take pleasure out of small things like these on the drive home tonight. Nor'easters bring these 10,000 year old chunks of ice onto my doorstep where they sit, melting in what they consider warmer waters. When the sun comes out, it hastens the melting process and pieces of ice break off, called 'bergy bits', that nestle up against the rocks on the shoreline, turquoise lines going through them like some rare aquamarine or opal gemstone.

With the snow melted, animals start stirring from the bowels of the forest and I caught a glimpse of this cow moose out of the corner of my eye making her way through the trees towards to road. We made eye contact and I hoped no car would come the other way as she trotted out onto the road for a few moments then leaped over the guard rail and was gone again. For such large animals, they can move so quickly through heavy brush and trees it amazes me.

Moose, however, are a real danger on the roads in this province with many fatalities due to vehicle/moose collisions. With long legs, these animals are hit by the car in the legs so then end up sliding across the hood of the car straight into your windshield. Not a happy ending for man nor beast unfortunately. And with the woods leading right onto the roads in many areas, you don't see the moose especially at night until it is too late to stop.





It sometimes pays to have the camera handy in the car, even if fog and rain don't make the best photo from inside the car.

6 comments:

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Thanks for sharing. I had no idea what Spring was like up in NewFoundland...

Jennifer Rose said...

Really pictures of the icebergs :)

When I lived in southern Ontario we always had to keep an eye out for deer, don't do as much damage as hitting a moose but still a decent amount. When we went to Nova Scotia there were moose signs all over the road. so I spent most of the trip trying to spot a moose, don't see them that often on Southern Ontario, but we get big deer. My uncle hit a deer and we were living on a farm at the time so he strung it up in the barn and than took it home for the meat (he was a butcher). Scared me to death opening the barn door and seeing a deer hanging from the rafters. lol

yeah the seasons sound like the seasons here. Lots of rain and wind, summer, fall and than a wet winter.

hmmm this turned into a long comment lol

Anonymous said...

Boy, I bet this moose did brighten your day! What a delight! (Have only seen 1 moose here in Colordao, though I know there's more.) I know they are so much bigger than I had expected. Thanks for the insight in your world!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks for visiting Elizabeth. Newfoundland is unique indeed.

Aren't icebergs neat Jennifer? I just love them. Moose..well I have a love hate relationship with them. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos Tracy

Making A Mark said...

I looooooooooove your moose pictures!

Bergy bits indeed.... ;)

Jeanette Jobson said...

Honest to God Katherine, that's what they're called here! :)