Thursday, September 18, 2008

Portrait start


S & S
graphite 11 x 14
copyright Jeanette Jobson

I've made a small start on the double portrait of my daughter and her fiance using the Bristol 400 paper. I'm not sure yet if I like the paper. The very smoothness that I wanted is turning out to be almost too smooth and I find I need an extremely light hand to achieve the effect that I want. I'll go further and see what it produces. In the early stages, its difficult to judge the final product as there are many layers to go yet.

I haven't tackled a serious portrait in awhile and have confined myself to smaller scale pieces and sketches. I could blame time but I know that's an excuse sometimes. I need to make time for the things that are important to me.

I'm slowly turning the corner into inspiration again but am not quite there yet. I can see some things on the horizon and I think I'll tackle some painting to get into the swing again just as a change of pace. Meanwhile I'll keep nibbling away at this portrait and hope it will start coming together.

No comments: