Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Masai


I had a discussion about portraiture today.  Its not a lucrative genre unless you're in the right geographical place or have the right connections.  Larger centres with bigger populations, more disposable income, spare wall space and a sense of narcissism perhaps all help.

However, I love drawing portraits and always have.  There is something about faces that pulls me in and becomes my comfort zone in many ways.  So whether they make money or not, I will still produce them.

And tonight I made a start on another piece.  I'm obviously a glutton for punishment as this piece is on a Masai woman done on black paper and the necklace is very intricate beading.  I'm using coloured pencil for this - Derwent Coloursofts right now and its on a piece of black mi-tientes paper 19 x 25 which makes it a bit larger than lifesize.

Of course under artificial light getting an image that looks anything like the real thing is nigh onto impossible so this is the best I can do for now.

8 comments:

A Brush with Color said...

This is beautiful, Jeanette!

Billie Crain said...

This really is beautiful even if you chose not to go any further with it. I was also told portraiture is not particularly lucrative. Pet portraits are another story all together.

I've found it's risky to do portraits because people may see themselves one way while the artist may see them differently. I had the misfortune to find that out personally.:(

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Sue. There's a long way to go yet on it.

Yes, Billie, there can be more potential in pet portraits, but that depends on area and disposable income, culture, etc. Here, its a real hard sell at times.

I agree that people see themselves differently than the artist does and its difficult to match that vision sometimes. Sorry you got burned in that area.

Unknown said...

Beautiful. How brave black on black!

Jeanette Jobson said...

I'm not sure if its brave or foolhardy yet Sue. :)

Ola Silvera said...

I wouldn't have guessed that portraiture isn't more lucrative. I thought people loved seeing themselves through other perspectives. If I had the money, I'd have mine done.

Ola Silvera said...

Also I agree with Billie - the drawing above is beautiful, even without any more added to it. I can't wait to see where you go with it.

Susan Liles said...

This will be beautiful when finished!
I also love, love painting people and had people wanting to buy the paintings or have their childrens portraits done but can't afford it.