Saturday, March 12, 2011

Gallow's Cove Pond

 Gallow's Cove Pond Melt Down
5 x 7    oils
Available for purchase here.

There is a hint of spring in the air lately.  Yes, its still quite cold at times. but the temperature's rising and with that the snow is slowly melting.

Ice on the lakes and ponds begins to form pools of water on the surface as the sun and warmer air transforms its winter coat back to liquid again.  The darkness of the water beneath contrasts against the pale blue of the ice surface.  Its an time of contrasts.

I pass by this and many other bodies of water on the way to and from work each day.  On the way home just as dusk was closing in, the light was hitting the water on the ice surface and starting to take the colour away from the surface and the trees which were more like silouettes than individual forms.  I stopped for a few minutes to soak in the landscape and colours, took a few photos with my cell phone then came home to paint it.

It is said that dawn and dusk are magical times for artists.  I firmly believe that.

3 comments:

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

I love this painting Jeanette.. It gives me a very calm feeling.. Just beautiful!
Enjoy your weekend
Blessings,
Penny

vivien said...

lovely Jeanette, you've caught the atmosphere and light beautifully

and I so agree - early and late in the day have such wonderful light to paint

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Penny, the blues both are calming and cooling.

Vivien, that time of day is my favourite I think. The light is always so appealing then.