Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A bit of everything


I'm up to my neck in last minute details for the upcoming exhibition that opens on Sunday.  We hang the show on Saturday and - touch wood - all is going as planned. So while I do publicity and wrap and label paintings, I'm also working on two others alternately in oils.

While waiting for the first layers of the iris bud to dry a bit, I started another water piece.  This is my year to concentrate on water and I'm doing ok so far in progress, but do get sidetracked sometimes. This will be a view of the water surface of the Atlantic, off Pouch Cove.  Right now, its not much more than a sea of blue, but you have to start somewhere.  Initial stages are never very interesting, unless they are the skeleton beneath of the initial drawing.  With this type of water piece, it becomes abstract and I usually don't do an underdrawing, but work my way by intuition and frequent trips to the water to confirm what's in my head and in a photo.


So I may well be absent for a few days while things whir around me, layers dry and the coyote stares me down from across the studio, waiting for completion.  Please do join us for the opening reception of Beginnings on July 24th from 2 - 5 at Masonic Temple, we'd love to see you.  If you can't make the opening, the exhibition will run until August 13th.

5 comments:

Kerby Rosanes said...

I'd love to see more of your artworks. I like the view of Atlantic waters in your painting. Very simple, but artistic. Keep posting!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Kerby. The water has a long way to go to completion yet.

Teresa Mallen said...

All the best with the exhibition, wish I lived close enough to attend the reception! Love the water piece even in this early stage, makes for a lovely serene abstract. Good luck with all that wrapping. :-)

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

You amaze me. Your diligence and versatility are so admirable. You must have boundless energy.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Teresa, it would be lovely if you could attend, I'd love to meet you and have a chat. Wrapping break now. :)

Kim, its a strange feeling, this internal need to produce and do. I don't know if there is boundless energy there, but more ignoring the rest of the world to enable myself to have time to create.