Monday, October 24, 2011

Jellyfish experiments



I worked on a jellyfish image previously in oil paints and still am not happy with it and its at the 'trash it' point.  I have some ideas about reviving it but perhaps through multimedia, not just oils. 

Jellyfish speak light, colour and texture to me.  The smooth bell and long rippling tentacles give many possibilities, but maybe need a looser treatment and more watery medium to bring out the subtle colours and shapes. 

This is a small study in watercolour that moves me into the direction I'm thinking of.  I need to get away from the tightness while painting and just let my brush flow.   I have ideas for a larger piece using paintings, physical texture either through modeling paste or additional textural objects to achieve an almost abstract feel.  It just feels right to do this, I can't explain it any other way.

I'll also try a small piece to explore the textural idea before translating that onto a much larger support.  Long flights  lately give me lots of time to think and repaint things in my mind.  Now I'm anxious to get some painting done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think wateroclour should be the perfect medium and I love the idea of abstracting them out a bit. Can't wait to see what happens.