Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Backwash II



This piece is pushing towards the completion of a demo that I started at the workshop I delivered on Saturday on painting water.  Weather had postponed the previous workshop this one was placed in a different venue that wasn't the best place in terms of acoustics, equipment and layout.  However, you work with what you have.

The original demo piece was painted a month or so ago. This piece is in a lower key and is a smaller version, measuring 8" x 10" in acrylic.

I painted the beginning shapes and blocked in colour, trying to create some values to give the piece form while I had time.  I never seem to have enough time to really develop a piece at a workshop demo, perhaps because I was created a more detailed painting, so I lay the traditional path on canvas, then encouraged participants to create their own pieces based on that direction.  I continue to circulate to provide feedback and assistance and take more time at various points to develop my demo piece more.


I know participants at workshops like to get down to the business of painting, and theory exercises becomes a bit tedious for them, no matter how valuable.  Finding the balance between providing technical knowledge and putting that into practice on a piece can be a challenge sometimes and may have to do with the level of experience of individuals and where they want to go with their art.

3 comments:

Sandy Byers said...

Hi Jeanette,
I have enjoyed both renditions of Backwash and am impressed with the way you handle water so well :). I am also the variety of work on you blog; thanks for sharing it!

Unknown said...

That looks and sounds like a really good workshop. I've been to several, and the ones where I am asked to do an exercise such as this, are the ones where I really come away feeling like I've learned something and grown as an artist, even though I was reluctant to do the exercises. Those waves are magnificent!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks so much Sandra. I like the challenge of creating water and learn something new with each piece I do.

It was good Katherine and I'm sure that different levels of experience have different needs. I like to provide some technical information as not all people have experience in a particular medium. But I also know that people just want to get down to the 'goodie' bit of painting. :)

Thanks for your comments.