Sunday, May 20, 2012

Flow


Last year I completed a large painting in acrylic of a wave that I watched at Middle Cove beach - Landwash.  The piece now lives with someone else and I have meant to try it in another medium for some time.

A long weekend and some time to myself gave me a chance to try it again, this time in oils.   Its a much softer image with the palette muted into pale blues and turquoise with that ever present silvery grey of the Atlantic ocean on overcast days.

In this piece I've left the foreground without any spattering, tying it in with the softer overall feel of the piece.  Scumbling the colours of the course sand/gravel gives all the form that is needed.

This is 10" x 20" on stretched canvas.  I've found these Apollon, Canadian made canvasses and have to say that I really like them and especially this size. Not too large to be unwieldy or take forever to paint, but not so small as to become a frustration to fit subjects into at times.

I'm not sure if the company is wholesale only or open to consumers, as I've only bought their canvasses from art supply stores.  This is the second Quebec company I've located for high quality art supplies, the other being Kama Pigments.  Their oil paints are professional grade, excellent quality and hand made.  The prices are very competitive.

6 comments:

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

I am so impressed with this. Seriously thought it was a photo at first. I believe water, especially ocean waves, is one of the most difficult things to paint but you have succeeded in creating both movement and form.

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Very nice Jeanette.
Love hearing about the art supplies people find and like also. Thanks for sharing.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Kim, thank you. I like the challenge of water I think. All those little puzzle parts that fit together to make it whole and believeable.

Thanks Nancy. It takes time to find supplies that feel 'right' sometimes. And even more so ones made in Canada, so I'm happy to stumble across these and am sticking with them.

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Beautiful Jeanette! The subtlety of the shifting values and colours are gorgeous. Magic.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Lisa, thank you. Its interesting to do the same piece in a different medium, I learn something new about the subject each time.

Unknown said...

Lovely painting Jeanette