Bed Thief - charcoal in sketchbook
I am finally coming out of the fog that is lack of inspiration. I know it happens to all artists and its happened to me before, but never for this long.
I keep sketching and browsing through art sites and galleries, but when I come into the studio - nothing encouraged me to pick up the paint or pencil and get at it.
Tips for overcoming blocks
1. Don't force it. There is absolutely nothing you can do to make inspiration come to you.
2. Play around with other mediums, sketch, draw, move things around, anything that keeps you in the studio and makes you receptive to inspiration.
3. Visit museums and art galleries. Look at art that you wouldn't normally look at. Try modern or abstract if you usually like representational.
4. Do something entirely different. Knit, sew, embroidery, reading, walking and let that take over your concentration for awhile.
5. Eat chocolate. Okay, that may not be true, but it helps. So does wine.