Friday, November 27, 2015

Glass fishing floats

 
Norway was the first country to start production and use of glass fishing floats around 1840 where glass floats were on gill nets in the cod fishery and then adopted by Japan in the 1940s. Glass fishing floats aren't seen much anymore and ones available for sale range in price depending on the colour. I have friends in the antique business with a whole window full of them that are just beautiful when the light comes through.

I've done this small study in watercolour in a sketchbook to help me decide if I want to invest time (and patience) to create a full sized painting in oils.   There is a lot of detail and this is just a crop of the whole reference that I would use.

Studies really are the key to working out decisions on composition, colour and technique to avoid painting half way through a large piece and deciding nothing is working.

I'm looking carefully at the subtle changes in value and hue that painting glass presents and thinking how I can translate that into oils using just a palette knife.

I think another study is in order using oils and a knife before I make a final decision.

7 comments:

Shammickite said...

I have one glass fishing float in my window.... a gingery golden one, I love it.

Jeanette Jobson said...

They are fabulous with the light coming through them. And they'd make fabulous Christmas decorations too!

Jennifer Rose said...

nice study :) nice variety of colours

Gary L. Everest said...

Hi Jeanette,
A wonderful painting and enlightenment all in one post! As a Pacific Fleet sailor, I'd see glass floats at various locations during my career, and was under the impression that the Japanese came up with the idea.
Who knew it was the Norwegians?! Thanks for the information and setting me right after all these years.
Hope you're doing well as winter approaches and looking forward to a wonderful Christmas and New Year.
By the way...Did the election in your area, turn out as you'd hoped?
Sincerely,
Gary.

Christiane Kingsley said...

These glass floats look wonderful. I think they are worth the investment of time to paint them in oil.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Jen, they're really interesting, some with older bubbly glass, some not symmetrical and the colours are great. I just may have to buy one for myself and play more.

Hi Gary
You know, I thought Japan too til I did a little research. As they say, you learn something new every day.

I am doing well thanks. Winter is not my favourite season, but I make the most of it and its pretty, especially when you're inside by the fire! haha

The national election results were mostly as anticipate, with strategic voting taking place I believe to get the appropriate party in place. With Justin Trudeau, son of previous Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, in place, the country is hoping for forward movement. Now on Monday, the provincial election, so out to vote again.

Christiane, I am in the process of doing a small study of them in oils and like how that looks. I'll likely have it finished later today (Saturday). It is labour intensive with so much detail, but that's what makes painting interesting.

http://essay-writer.club/ said...

I have never seen these glass floats, actually I've read about them for the first time. So thanks for explaining what's their functionality. Looking on your sketch I think it will be a great oil painting. So, I think you should try to do it. Good luck!