Thursday, June 08, 2006

Natural

We live in a crazed, speed-driven world, forcefed information through endless emails and phone calls and an overload of internet and television. We expect instant results in everything from food, availability of services or websites. We are bombarding our senses and I feel as if I'm on overload.

I long for a time when life is slower and I don't have to compromise my drawing or my life to acheive results for someone else. I want a natural life that lets my body dictate sleeping and waking. I want to feel the seasons on my skin, not be artificially controlled in an airless building. I want to taste foods that still have earth clinging to them and the force of nature still pulsing through them as I hold them in my hand. I want time to spend with people I care about without interruption of techology or other people. I want time to live my life as it is intended to be lived. I want it to be natural.

Today a little piece of nature presented itself in the barn. One of the Chinese geese has been sitting on eggs and they hatched. Three small goslings who shelter under her wing to seek protection and warmth. There is no interference from humans to handle them or show them how to eat, except to simply provide food and water. Instinctive behaviour, natural reaction. It is how life should be for all of us.

I am taking a day off work tomorrow to catch up with myself and do some things that I want. One is a search for a new book Art and Fear. This is a book about what it feels like to sit in your studio or classroom, at your wheel or keyboard, easel or camera, trying to do the work you need to do. It is about committing your future to your own hands, placing Free Will above predestination, choice above chance. It is about finding your own work.

An excerpt:

Today, more than it was however many years ago, art is hard because you have to keep after it so consistently. On so many different fronts. For so little external reward. Artists become veteran artists only by making peace not just with themselves, but with a huge range of issues. You have to find your work...


Finally, a sketch to end my day. I sat wondering what to draw then ended up with a 20 minute sketch of some shelves leading into the kitchen. The perspective isn't perfect, but neither am I. Note: Blogger doesn't want to upload my sketch so it will have to wait til tomorrow.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am currently reading Art and Fear. I am also trying to carve out more time for what I want to do and when I want to do it. We are about the same age, and I am sure we have both put families and other matters first for a long time. Good luck with your commitment to your art.

Anonymous said...

I am a 28 Male from YEMEN (Arab).

I love your article, your words are just what I feel too. Sometimes I feel as if I am living inside a machine world. I envy the birds and the animals. I work as a graphic designer, and I am in front of the PC most of the time. I feel as if the art that I once enjoyed has faded away from my heart.

what you wrote inspired me a lot.

Jeanette Jobson said...

It does take time and determination to not let the mundane section of life take over the creative side, Loretta. I'm working on it!

Thanks lightwave. Make time for your art, you won't regret it. :o)