Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Gummi bears

Gummi bears study

carbon pencil
copyright Jeanette Jobson


Gummi bears scare me. They also taste disgusting, more the texture than flavour, all rubbery. You don't so much chew them, but mash the rubber into a form that you can swallow.

Have you ever really looked at their little faces, if you can call them that? They look like a cross between aliens from outer space and those little pottery Inca god statues. They're quite creepy...

Despite their drawbacks, they are fun to draw and this study was a warm up for a colour drawing I will do of some gummi bears. I took some photos today on one of those rare moments when some sun broke through the clouds and it made the little aliens glow with light. Or maybe they do that anyway.

The decision now is what medium to do a colour version in. Coloured pencils, oils, pastels....

Other facts about gummi bears:

From Jason Freeny at Moist Productions, a little lesson in gummi bear anatomy...
  • The Gummi Bear originates from Germany where it is hugely popular under the name Gummibär.
  • The traditional Gummi Bear is made from sugar, glucose syrup, starch, flavouring, food coloring, citric acid, and gelatin. There are also some types of Gummi Bears made with pectin or starchgelatin, making them suitable for vegans.
  • Gummi bears, and other gummi candy, stick to teeth and may cause tooth decay. However, gummi bears containing the cavity-fighting additive xylitol (wood sugar) are now being tested.
  • There has been some concern that gelatin, a key ingredient in most gummi bears, may harbor prions. Prions are misshapen proteins that cause BSE / Mad Cow Disease in cattle and CJD in humans. Based on studies, the United States FDA and various other national organizations and countries consider the risk of BSE transmission through gelatin to be minuscule as long as precautions are followed during the manufacturing process.
Finally, oddest of all, gummi bear art.

10 comments:

Rose Welty said...

Jeanette,

If you had told me that you were going to paint gummy bears, I would have laughed. But honestly, that graphite study is intriguing. I never would have come up with gummy bears as a subject! Looking forward to the painting.

Unknown said...

I'm suddenly concerned about gummy bears. Er...thank you?

Jewelry Rockstar said...

LOL!!! You are hilarious. The description of eating a gummy bear, too much. You know I love to eat them, now I'll be thinking of mashing them between my teeth.

Jeanette Jobson said...

You can still laugh Rose, as they are pretty silly things. But the light works well through them, making them interesting. Now go study a gummi bear - could be your next oil painting! :)

I think you'll be safe enough pocketpark - maybe

Ah, another convert to my anti gummi bear society...nearly

Jennifer Rose said...

I love gummi bears :D Very nice study, you did a great job getting the gummi bears to look translucent. hmmm I really want to go get some candy now lol Love that poster from Moist Productions

Robyn Sinclair said...

You've really cheered my day up, Jeanette. Who would have thought there was so much to learn about gummy bears!

Your study is beautiful too, lovely effect of the light passing through. I'll be back for the painting.

Anonymous said...

Ummm, I guess I shouldn't mention that my vitamin "pills" are gummy bears.

Honest, they sell them at Costco!

Jeanette Jobson said...

I won't hold it against you that you like gummi bears Jennifer :)

I'm glad the little gummis made you smile Robyn. The light does make them glow, and they're rather fun to draw.

Vitamin gummi bears??? Good heavens! But do they have sugar in them? That would sort of contradict any good they have wouldn't it? :) Then again, candy is candy...

A.S. said...

Hello, Jeanette!
Your paintings are amazing!
It's wonderful that I find our works on the net.
If it's possible can I use your "Gummi bears study" in my blog?
Of course with your copyright.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Can you give me a link to your blog so that I can see the overall content and context before I give permission to use the image?