Saturday, August 16, 2008

This little pig went to market...


The pigs went to the processor last Friday and I was sorry to see them go. I become over attached to some animals on the farm and the pigs are one of them. I know they are intended for food, but I still treat them as pets, going to see them and rub their noses which they love. I felt more guilty than usual when this group of five went. I had secretly given them names and their personalities came through as they grew.

They were loaded into specially made crates and put on a trailer for the trip. At least the day was warm and sunny and they seemed to enjoy the warmth. Even the trip from the barn to the trailer, sailing through the air via a forklift on the tractor didn't faze them.

I won't go into my rant about animal treatment, except to emphasize once more, that the world needs to know where their food comes from and demand humane treatment for raising animals.

Goodbye piggies...

2 comments:

Making A Mark said...

What? You're not going to confess all and tell us their names? No fair!

I like piggies too - I take photos of them when I visit farms.......

Do you have the thing in Newfoundland with the rare breed pigs? I reckon it's all down to "The Archers"......

Here's a bit of pig talk for you.....
The Pig Blog

Tracy Hall said...

Right there with your Jeannette! Very hard they are such brilliant creatures.At least yours had a good life :)