Monday, August 31, 2009

When earth, sea and sky combine


While I had some time off last week I wandered a bit and sketched. While the weather didn't always cooperate, there was always the car to retreat to if rain and wind threatend to take me away.

This was one of those times. The day after Hurricane Bill, the sea surge was strong still sending waves up against the cliffs with deafening, hypnotic sound. The cliffs and sea were littered with seagulls who weren't venturing far in the rough waves.

For me, this is perfect weather. I love stormy seas, but also know well enough to stay clear of them too. Strong waves carry people off in an instant. The daredevils often don't live to tell the tale.

So I sat in and out of the my car, perched on top of a cliff overlooking Middle Cove and watched the sea, sky and earth merge and tried to capture the moment on paper.

This is my sketchbook with the brown paper and blue ink from a Micron .25 pen as my Rapiograph decided it wouldn't record for me that day.

4 comments:

sue said...

Wonderful, Jeanette!

vivien said...

I love wild seas!

this looks so much better clicked on - please everyone click on it to see the drawing properly

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Sue, you're such an encouragement to me.

You're right Vivien, I should add that people can click to see a larger image.

Jennifer Rose said...

I love seeing the rough sea, not too keen on sailing on it though :p

really nice ink work, the rough lines add to the storm feeling :)