Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Apple study


As I threw out the concept of the apple challenge a few days ago, I thought I'd better make a start on one.

I had a need to draw again after painting steadily for awhile and chose charcoal. I used charcoal pencils for this. I guess I just wasn't in 'mess' mode. Not that it made a lot of difference,as I tend to be pretty much 'hands on' with charcoal in any form.

Let's see what else I can come up with in terms of drawing and colour for apples over the next few weeks. I hope you'll join me. I look forward to learning from each drawing or painting that is posted.

7 comments:

vivien said...

mmm I might have a go - can't remember the last time I painted an apple!

vivien said...

OK I had a go in watercolour and cp - here: http://vivienb.blogspot.com/2009/09/apple-in-watercolour-and-coloured.html

Robyn Sinclair said...

Lovely study, Jeanette. Splendid the way you've captured the skin - it's so realistic.

I'll try to join in soon.

Jennifer Rose said...

this has a very soft look to it, really nicely done :)

Jeanette Jobson said...

Your apples are beautiful Vivien. The colouring is superb with them.

I love how detailed charcoal can be Robyn. I'd always thought of it as loose, broad strokes, but it can be quite delicate too.

thanks Jennifer

A Brush with Color said...

Oh, how'd I miss this, Jeanette! Wonderful! I'll have to make sure I saw all these things you've done here!

Ann said...

This has a terrific sense of volume. The soft light and shadow are wonderful!