Thursday, September 03, 2009

Otters



I've been fiddling with this sketch of some otters for the last week and it frustrates me. I don't know why I decided to go so loose with it as I like some more detail in animals. But I was pressed for time and pushed ahead anyway just to get it done where in fact,I should have abandoned it or started over.

I really need a piece to grab me to give it my full attention and do it justice. This just didn't do that for me. However, that's ok too. I never expect every piece to work out as I want it. Its all part of the process of creating.

This is on a half sheet of Stonehenge in coloured pencil.

7 comments:

A Brush with Color said...

These otters are great, Jeanette! I think you really captured personalities in them.

Billie Crain said...

Jeanette, what are you saying?! This is awesome!! The light play on the otters with the dark paper is stunning!! I'm totally impressed!

black bear cabin said...

dont give up...it looks wonderful so far...maybe if you add more detail it will grow on you, but i think it looks pretty fabulous already :)

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks for the encouragement, but this piece just isn't doing it for me for whatever reason. Also its really difficult to photograph black paper!

Yes, it does have parts that I like but there are other sections that I reallyyy don't like.

I'll shelve it and perhaps revisit it somewhere down the road.

Unknown said...

Jeanette I know exactly what you mean when a piece just doesn't do it for you. I was the same with the fox I started a couple of months ago. The best thing is to put it away for a while.
It does however 'grab' me, I like it a great deal.

Gayle

Laura Frankstone said...

I also know what you mean, however, I find this grouping of otters very charming and the beginning stages of your drawing them full of wonderful texture. Great colors, too.
Maybe you'll find your way back to them later. I hope so.

Jo Castillo said...

Ah, this is very nice. I like the technique and the black paper sets it off. Maybe you will finish one day. :)