Monday, January 29, 2007

Oranges and Mangoes



I received a piece of colorfix paper in this intense deep blue and I wondered for a few days what to draw on it. The paper has this fine sandpaper-like texture that I can't resist running my fingers over. I cut the paper into quarters and one quarter into further quarters to experiment on.

The paper was originally produced for pastel but I've also seen it used with coloured pencil. I tried both. The coloured pencil experiments were ok, but I didn't do more than play really. Then the pastels and pastel pencils came out. This image was in the weekend drawing event at WetCanvas and the colours were perfect - blue being a complementary colour for orange and it jsut seems to flow from there.

The paper has an amazing feel when drawing. I love the texture and sound it makes when pastel is drawn across it. It also gives that orange peel texture for the fruit as well as being able to blend it to a smoother skin for the mangoes on the right.

Now I just need to track down a package of colorfix and stockpile it as I can't find it anywhere in Canada.

2 comments:

Making A Mark said...

Aha - so you've finally found Colourfix. Better get ordering.......some colours work better than others. Nicole Caulfield is the expert.

Robyn Sinclair said...

Beautiful depth in this picture. Thrilled to hear your little granddaughter has arrived safely. You still don't seem old enough to me ;)