Sunday, January 21, 2007

Testing


I'm testing myself with a new dog portrait today.

Its a West Highland Terrier and they are so very hairy to draw. I've been inspired by Mike Sibley's book Drawing from Line to Life which I just received and want to make myself tackle more complex pieces. I've always shied away from long haired dogs and have found that it's a perceived notion of difficulty for the most part. Once I break the piece down into manageable sections, it doesn't become quite so horrific. So I'm drawing hair. White hair. I do like to test myself, don't I?

Meanwhile outside, another mini storm is hitting with horizontal snow falling. (Does it actually fall if its horizontal? More like pile up in a corner. ) Wind and snow go together here it seems. I rarely see it snow where the flakes fall straight down. We don't have fairytale snow here very often.

So I'm going to sit by the fire and draw white hair, drink coffee, eat cinnamon rolls while a home grown chicken roasts for supper. Winter demands comfort in whatever form it comes.

3 comments:

Jeanette Jobson said...

It is rather fun I have to admit Robin. Mike's book makes me want to quit work and draw all day instead.

The best place for watching horizontal snow is inside by the fire :)

Stacy said...

Jeanette - Looks to me like you are passing this test. This dog is adorable! I received Mike's book for Christmas and can't wait to dig in.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeanette! I love your doggie! Reading of your snow storm reminds me of a poem I wrote years ago entitled, THE SNOWFLAKE

Snowflakes swirl downward in the air,
Millions of them must fall!
Each one a prefect masterpiece,
Regardless of ever how small.

Listening to the sound of silence,
While frosting covers the land,
Many are blended together,
As the forces of nature demand.

Aren't we like the snowflakes,
With no two ever being the same,
Each one an individual
With our uniqueness to proclaim?

As the course is laid out before us,
Encumbered with cares from birth,
The beauty and whiteness soon are gone,
Being trampled by Mother Earth.

And yet, like the snowflakes,
We all have a place in time,
Blown in the drifts of humanity,
But with a nature divine!