Sunday, April 15, 2007

Sea treasures

We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came... (John F. Kennedy)


I've spent time working with stone today. Its an interesting process, full of experimentation and discovery which is fun. Using different bits to produce shapes is very much trial and error, as I haven't done this before.

I tried my first efforts on a hand sized beach stone that's a lovely mid charcoal grey. The design was a mix of several with no name in particular. The straight lines turned out ok, the curves are providing challenges so I still have to go back and refine them more. My lines aren't true, but for a first effort, its ok. I will need to practice more with this.


I then turned my attention to some very small beach stones which I will turn into pendants. They measure about 1.5 - 2 inches in length. These are the first two, which still need to be polished. The greyish larger piece is a piece of whitened sea-worn timber, perhaps from some long lost ship now at the bottom of the Atlantic. I love the concept of having something tangible that the sea has provided to use in a different way.

There are lots of possibilities for jewellery using naturally found materials. I will be hunting the beach for more varied shades and colours of stones or other treasures and perhaps unearth some nice sea glass as well.

7 comments:

Blade21292 said...

If you don't mind my asking, is this a special engraver or will just any old dremmel tool do this?

Anonymous said...

Interesting... Star of David on the anniversary of the Holocaust. Was that planned. I should not be surprised by an unusual post by you. There is always something new to behold here.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Blade, this was done with a generic rotary tool and diamond bits.

Robin, I've always loved the Star of David design and chose it for its simplicity in trying out this technique. The Holocaust anniversary was not chosen with this in mind, but it is a worthy commemoration.

Terry Banderas said...

This post is nice surprise from you. Never can tell what you will post. I like your new project.

Claudia said...

Such a wonderful peace of art! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

That would make a nice present for your eldest... hint hint.

Sorcha

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Funny how you can think you've gone over and over another persons blog only to have something catch your eye from Linkwihtin … I bought a Dermal tool a couple of years ago wanting to do this, or attempt to do this. I didn't give it an honest attempt but now you've renewed my interest. Your's turned out a success I'd say.