Thursday, June 21, 2007

Flowers scare me

I love flowers, the shapes, colours and scents, but I can't draw them. I have a mental block when faced with blooms. All those complex shapes folding, curving with subtle changes of shades and tiny creases. Flowers scare me.

Yet I am surrounded by them. Currently the crabapple tree is in full bloom despite the fog and rain and I look at it and thing how lovely to be able to recreate it in paints or coloured pencil, yet I know that it will just become another sheet of paper crumpled in the bin in frustration.

The greenhouse is overflowing the flowers too, destined for the Indian wedding next month. There are bouquets of them around the house, its like living in a florist's shop and will get worse as the first blooms are removed from the plants to make way for more. There are going to be a LOT of flowers this year.

Maybe I'll be brave and tackle a drawing of a simple flower and work my way up to something more complex. One of the marigolds maybe or the clematis that is flowering now. Tips on tackling flowers is appreciated.

10 comments:

"JeanneG" said...

I was never even one to like fresh flowers. Never wanted hubby to buy me flowers and send them to my job like all the other girls did. I told him I didn't want to watch them die. I would have much rather had a plant.

Now I find I am drawn to flowers. Go figure. I do find that morning glories are pretty easy to do. No petals, just colors and shades of colors to get the trumpet look. I also find sunflowers easier than some. A marigold I would think would be very hard like a rose. So many petals and no definite arrangement of them.

Good luck. You do everything else so beautifully, I know you can do it. Just send me all your rejects. I will love them.

Blade21292 said...

I have been so impressed with everything I've seen from you! I really want to see what you consider a bad drawing/painting of some of your flowers. I know that it is very difficult making a graphite rose not look like a concrete rose, but I have the utmost confidence you can pull it off.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that with your talent you are scared of drawing anything. Go for it!

Jeanette Jobson said...

We're in the same boat there Jeanne. I prefer the flowers left on the plant too. I think flowers are fascinating, but so complex. Email me your address and I promise you'll get the first frustration from me. :)

Blade, I love your confidence in me, but don't know if I can pull it off, However, you never know til you try.

Dave, thank you. I will have a stab at it and see what I can pull off. watch this space...

Stacy said...

Jeanette, I am sure you will draw beautiful flowers, what I am amazed at is that your crabapple is only now blooming!!! Our tree flowers are long gone (at least it feels that way). You must have a really short growing season up there.

Advice for drawing flowers...pretend they are something else. It might get you past your mental block.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Stacy. I'll have a go at one and see.

Yes, this year has been horrible weatherwise and everything is slow. But yes we do have a very short growing season anyway. Sucks...

Making A Mark said...

Jeanette - forget it's a flower and think of it as a structure - something with an interior landscape. Do one flower to start with and do it much bigger than the actual flower.

Your blossom may come late but gosh is it lush!

Anita said...

You can't possibly be scared of flowers - with everything else you draw so beautifully. Remember it is nothing but tonal values like everything else. Can't wait to see you do something - try something easy simple like a Magnolia. Once you have one under your belt I know you will be blossoming all over!

Anonymous said...

One that can draw animals with such ease surely can do a few petals. Just take one shape at a time. When you clean your house you can't do every room at once. You must take one room and one surface at a time. Always keep in mind where your light source is and I know you will produce stunning posies.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Katherine, Anita and Robin, yes you're all correct.

I can do this if I break it down and concentrate on one section at a time. I will tackle a flower this weekend!