Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Exposure

Study for 'Hotdog'
coloured pencil on Canson paper
copyright Jeanette Jobson


I started this drawing while I was waiting for students to turn up for a class. I've had the reference for awhile and can't really remember where it came from but it was always amusing. I'll try to find time to continue working on it in spare moments and see what comes of it.

I have a couple of other irons in the fire right now too. Tonight I'm choosing three drawings to submit to the City of St. John's Art Procurement program. The deadline is November 14th for submission so I want them packed up and ready to go, as I will be out of the province all of next week. I return from my trip on the 16th and the next day have a 3 hour demonstration to do with 2 classes the following day. Let's hope jet lag doesn't take its toll.

This year I'm hoping to enter a piece in the Provincial Arts and Letters Competition. The deadline for that is February 15, 2008, so I have time to finish off the representational self portrait I've been working on. Its a large piece and I haven't done as much as I'd hope to have done by now. I was a little lost in terms of ideas for the right side of the image, but more ideas are coming to me now and I will make some inroads on it when I return from Saskatchewan.

These will be my first juried attempts for a long time, so I'm taking my time deciding on the pieces. Choosing art is very much down to the jury's likes and dislikes, as well as budget. As in art shows, you never know who is there or what they're looking for. Its very much a lottery. I'll take my chances with the rest of the world.

4 comments:

vivien said...

he's gorgeous and you are much braver than me - a 3 hour demo??? I turn down all requests for demos at art clubs - it would terrify me! I do a workshop for them though.

Anonymous said...

Best of luck Jeanette. You are pulling out all of the stops lately. Love watching you take fire.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Vivien. I rather like demos. I get into my zone even through interruptions and time flies by. I like doing the workshops too, but demos are ok and they force me to get over any anxiety I have about drawing in public.

Thank you Robyn. Some days I don't know which way is up, but the ball is gaining momentum and I know that there is some pain along with the pleasure. I'm enjoying pushing myself and seeing where it leads.

Robyn Sinclair said...

I'd love to come to your demo or a class, Jeanette The dog is gorgeous - so much character. I too am impressed with all the irons you have in the fire. Brava.