Saturday, March 15, 2008

Still life - food

Garlic, artichoke hearts & capers
copyright Jeanette Jobson


I made the mistake of going to the stores today. I needed a new microwave as my other has about as much power in it as a mouse's biceps. Of course, I didn't consider that its a week before Easter and people were hauling off loads of chocolate as if it were going out of style. That, coupled with the fact that yet another snow storm is due tomorrow, turned normally sane people into insane people.

I never understand that hoarding obsession that overtakes people at the thought of a holiday or impending house arrest due to a storm. Its only a day. ONE DAY! But people stock up as if its the end of the world.

In the end I got my microwave, despite jostling crowds and no staff assistance, to get the monster box into a trolley and then into the car. So now I'm playing with food again. I had a couple of jars and the sun was coming through the window so I experimented with reflections and colours. I'll see how they translate into drawing soon.

And yes, you see into my tastes - literally - in food, but not necessarily eaten at the same time.

2 comments:

Billie Crain said...

oooh, i love capers and lemon on broiled fish! i make a mean artichoke heart dip too but i've never had pickled(?)garlic.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Mmm, capers are fab with fish. I haven't eaten artichoke hearts much. They'll go into a salad I think. And the pickled garlic I use like regular garlic in cooking. Its just another way to preserve it.