Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Good bone structure

Duck skull

This is the remains of one of the small ducks that a fox caught a year or two ago which was found in the woods a week or so ago. Although it may seem a bit gruesome, I quite enjoy examining and drawing skulls and bones. Since my year of anatomy, I developed a new found respect for how a living creature is constructed. It really is quite extraordinary how a living thing works so well with every part having a function.

Looking closely at the tip of the bill there are a series of small holes where nerves ended. Ducks are constantly sifting through mud or grass and the ends of their bills are very sensitive to any change in texture or movement, sensing food.

I will draw this skull in the next day or so, but have a few other obligations on my plate right now. I laid a handful of fresh cherries on the table after supper with full intentions of drawing them. Somehow or the other they got eaten instead. They were good however and there are plenty more to draw.

I need a few deadlines to push myself into action. I'm getting lazy. There is an exhibition on June 29th that I haven't yet decided to put pieces into or not. I should for exposure and potential sales, but do need a couple of pieces framed in order to do that and don't have the correct frames on hand. I know its an easily solved problem, but lethargy is over taking me this week. There is always tomorrow...

3 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

Thank you for posting a picture of the duck skull. I had never seen one before and it is neat to see how it is shaped. I knew ducks used their bills a lot for investigating but didn't know about all the little holes on the end of the bill. I love drawing horse and cattle skulls, lots of different textures and shapes to see and try to replicate.

Jeanette Jobson said...

I hadn't seen one previously either Jennifer. They're quite fascinating in how they're constructed. Little flaps and hinges and holes...

Anonymous said...

I'm like you in that there's times I need a spur to get me into action. When I finally get time to work, all of the sudden I've got brick on my feet and lethargy creeps in. I love the work that I do, but why is it that deadlines may need to be there to motivate?