Monday, September 01, 2008

Cranes and labels

Crane
Charcoal and graphite 8 x 10
copyright Jeanette Jobson

I'm not sure of the official name of this crane, but its a rather interesting bird. I came across the image on WetCanvas's Weekly Drawing Thread and played around with it last night. I should have made the crown of feathers lighter but the charcoal took over a bit.

As an artist I often use Google and other engines to look for images, but the results don't always match my search. If the image titles or tags don't have the relevant information that you need, you won't find what you're looking for. Google has developed a new research project that may help. The program asks users to help improve overall search functions by adding labels or descriptive tags on specific images. You're paired up, in real time, with an unknown user, and you're presented with the same pictures. The object is to come up with as many words as possible to describe what you see. See what your labeling brain comes up with if you get a chance.

Google Image Labeler

3 comments:

Robyn Sinclair said...

Beautiful crane, Jeanette - wonderful depiction of the face (do cranes have faces?)

I'm very interested to see you beginning to explore abstracts. I'd like to know more about it too.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Robyn, yes I think they do have faces... :) Its a strange but interesting looking bird.

I wish I could find a class locally that would provide me with more information about abstract art. I guess I'll have to blunder my way along and see what happens.

Anonymous said...

I really like this in graphite,works well.