Sunday, October 12, 2008

Fantasy and reality collide


I started doodling this morning with some coloured pencils. It was an image of my grand daughter 'reading' her book. I like the intent look of concentration on her face and the drawing expanded as the day progressed.

Of course, as is the way of life, when you start a doodle that then shows promise, it is always on the wrong paper and always composed incorrectly on the page so you run out of paper.

I decided that I would carry on the theme of the book with some characters from it coming to life and interacting with her. I'm playing around with composition and characters on tracing paper to see what fits, colours, backgrounds etc.

I also have some tinkering to do with her features. The mouth is too low so must be adjusted and the eyes are too bright. This is done in a Canson sketchbook 11 x 14. The paper isn't bad so I'll see how it holds the coloured pencil. If it doesn't work well, I'll simply use it as a study and start a new piece on better paper.

3 comments:

Teresa Mallen said...

Hi Jeanette,
What a fantastic idea - bringing characters to life to interact with her! I look forward to seeing how this develops.

Sorry to see that the 'heirlooms' piece went to the bin drawer. I thought you were doing a fantastic job...your colours were lovely! But I do understand, when a piece isn't working for you, it just isn't working for you.

Hope you are having a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend. :-)

Jo Castillo said...

What a cute idea and lovely sketch. I forgot about your Thanksgiving. Hope you have a lovely day.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Teresa, funny how things just develop isn't it? I've decided this will be my study for the real piece. I'll work out my composition and see what works then start afresh on a new sheet.

Thanks Jo. I'm filled with turkey and good food and Thanksgiving was lovely.