Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Seascapes

Entrance to St. John's Harbour

Rocky ledge - Logy Bay

Kelp and white rock reflections - Logy Bay
Savage Creek Cove

Even though I live on an island surrounded by ocean, I seldom draw it.

I love the water. I love its ever changing colours and movement. I love the sound of the waves hitting the beach and tumbling the rocks. I love that 'seaweed/fishy' smell that is only there on certain days. I love the power of the water, knowing it is strong enough to take me away forever in an instant and my respect for it grows each time I am close.

I see the ocean everywhere I go here. I drive less than five minutes from home and I can be on the flat rocks that lead to the water. I pass the sea on my way to work each morning and always check it to see the colour, assess the tide, and check the weather as if the water were a barometer. But I haven't seriously drawn the coast here. And I should.

Vivien Blackburn does heavenly images of seascapes that always inspire me with their colour and movement. Each time I see them, I swear that I will try my hand at capturing that light and colour and rocks myself.

For now I will share a few photos of the ocean that I took at the weekend. It was very windy on the day I took these photos, especially the one of the entrance to St. John's Harbour, I nearly blew over the side as I was high up on Signal Hill.

The waves and wind's movement over the water are as mesmerizing as were the mermaid sirens that lured sailors to their death in legend.

I must go down to the sea again....and this time paint it!

13 comments:

Stacy said...

Jeanette, so glad you didn't blow over the side! I love the ocean too. The beach is my favorite place to walk. I don't remember a year when I didn't have at least a few days down at the shore. I now live about two and a half hours from the shore and wouldn't want to move any farther away.

And yet, like you, I have never painted the ocean. I think the size and power and ever changing nature of it is just overwhelming. I wouldn't know where to start.

vivien said...

thanks for the lovely comments Jeanette :>)

I'd love to see you paint the coast and envy you so much living on an island.

The coast I love is over 300 miles away and I have to sketch like mad when I'm there to get lots of material to work from at home.

A flatter saltmarsh and sand dunes coast is about3 hours away but doesn't have the wildness or wonderful light of Cornwall.

I can see why you said to me that Cornwall was rather like your coastline - lovely photos and it looks beautiful.

Jennifer Rose said...

It looks gorgeous there, such lovely colours to the water.

I love that we only live about 20 minutes from the sea. On a nice day its gorgeous and on a rough day you feel and see how much power the water has.

Jeanette Jobson said...

It was exceptionally windy that day Stacy, almost difficult to keep my balance way up on top of the hill. But a panoramic view of the Atlantic stretching to Europe was the treat.

I think we'll have to have a seascape in one of the VSDs. :)

My pleasure Vivien. I always love your work - the colours are so soft and set the light so well.

Yes, the NL coastline has similarities to Cornwall doesn't it?

Aren't the colours in the ocean that day almost Mediterannean Jennifer? I just loved them.

We have some amazing surf when there are storms. A rogue wave a month ago went about 300 yards up the beach washed people off the their feet with some carried out into the cove. Luckily all were rescued. The ocean is indeed powerful.

cathyswatercolors said...

I love the photos of Newfoundland, I have to admit I have always been interested in the area. It looks so beautiful. Tell me, do you have as severe winters as I have read that you do? I would love to see one of your paintings of the coast. Thanks for sharing the photos of your beautiful country ,keep them coming,us dreamers LOVE them!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Hi Shicat, I'm glad you enjoy the images.

Winters in Newfoundland vary across the province in terms of amounts of snow. Here on the east coast we get snow which often turns to freezing rain or rain as we're on the water. Other years we get dumped on in snowstorms. The storms can be severe sometimes, depends on the wind direction and we usually get around 20 - 30cm in a storm, but have gotten up to 80cm at a time! Not fun to drive in, but the roads are kept pretty clear for emergency services.

The temperatures rarely dip below -10C, so compared to the rest of Canada, especially the prairies, we get off lightly in some respects.

Abigail Kraft said...

Hello Jeanette!
These are some beautiful pictures! The sea also inspires me greatly...it has always interested me, but the two times that I've actually been to the coast and have been able to experience the sensations you mentioned, I felt so inspired I didn't know what to do with myself! God's creation is amazing, isn't it? :)

You have a lovely site! I'll be watching it for updates and hope to keep in touch!
--Abigail (MovieMusicAddict from Drawspace)

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Abigail and welcome to my blog. I'll look forward to getting to know you and your work a little more.

April Jarocka said...

Hi Jeanette. Enjoyed dropping by and agree, if you love the ocean then you MUST paint it. I fell in love with it so much this year it had a positive effect on my well being and my art. Good luck with your attempts.

Making A Mark said...

I'll be looking forward to seeing your paintings of the sea - the views you have are really great.

I do so agree with your comments about Vivien's work.

Jeanette Jobson said...

April, I will try some seascapes and see what happens. I need to capture that light and movement. I looked at your work and its wonderful.

Katherine, there is so much water surrounding my every move, either ocean, pond, lake or river. I'll have to succumb to it sooner or later. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh how I wish I could go there with you.

Jeanette Jobson said...

You'd always be welcome Robyn. I'd love to see your interpretations of the Atlantic.