Monday, December 01, 2008

Watermarks

The Edge of the World
Moleskine watercolour notebook 3.5 x 5.5
copyright Jeanette Jobson

"The Flat Earth Society says that Newfoundland is one of the four corners of the world. The very edge of the earth. Now that's just foolishness.

Isn't it??"
Today an exciting new blog floats into being. Watermarks will explore water in art through the eyes of nine artists from around the world. I am lucky enough to be one of the artists invited to participate.

Watermarks is a small community of artists who make art from water. We like to sketch, draw and/or paint water - the sea, the coastline, beaches, rivers, streams, waterfalls, fountains - in all contexts, styles, genres and media.

The concept of Watermarks was created by Vivien Blackburn and Lindsay Olsen. Katherine Tyrrell is the powerhouse behind the technology of setting it up so that we can access each other through Ning and contribute to the blog independently. the artists taking part are as follows:
I can't wait to get into this project as it will allow me to explore more of the coast and waters that surround me. Living on an island in the Atlantic, I can't avoid water if I try! The talent in this group is amazing so I am anxious to watch work from the other artists unfold.

I have so many ideas and so many concepts to explore. I will be trying new techniques and perhaps find a new style through all of this. Over the next nine days each artist will be introducing themselves and their work in a different post. After that, we will be posting regularly so you are guaranteed a changing mix of colours and styles with the underlying theme of water.

I hope you'll be able to join us on our journey.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If Newfoundland is one corner, then my home of New Zealand is anotr! I often feel like I live at the ends of the earth...
I have been to Watermarks, loved it, and have bookmarked it already. Enjoy the journey.

Lindsay said...

Yea for us! Nice send off....I can hear the champaign crashing against the bow.

The watercolor is rich...lovely colors.

Anonymous said...

A beautiful take-off Jeanette! the colours are so gentle, yet rich...the edge of the world is definetely beautiful seen through your eyes!
Ronell

Making A Mark said...

Jeanette - I love this watercolour. Gorgeous lush watercolours.

I can see we're all going be very interested to see in what direction your work takes off with this project!

Jeanette Jobson said...

cathsheard, I think you may well be right. New Zealand is another beautiful corner of the world.

Thanks Lindsay, I'm so looking forward to this.

Ronell, I thought I'd start as I mean to go on, with some colour.

Thanks Katherine, I have lots of ideas in my head and a new direction is calling me.