I figured I'd better make a start on the second portrait piece to go with the original child. This time her older brother. I wanted to make them using similar techniques as they would be in the same house and to have two very different styles would seem rather odd in this instance.
The first piece was a bit of an experiment with good and bad aspects but overall I am pleased with it.
I'm using the same format - 12 x 16 140lb watercolour paper. I mapped out the features and have it filling the space with little or no background. I want the face to pull in the viewer.
I've blocked in some base values and will add to it tomorrow. I will add ink and pastel as I did with the previous painting and cross my fingers that it turns out to be what is in my head.