Friday, December 11, 2009

Portraits and technology




Last night I sketched the next portrait and started adding some colour.  I still need a background for this and haven't quite decided what it will be.  I have some thoughts floating around but there is no 'aha' moment yet.  As the painting develops as well as the background a title may come to mind. I should have a better image tomorrow as I'll have some decent natural light.  Well, provided it doesn't snow too much.



This piece is done on a half sheet of 300lb arches paper.  I'm waiting for more of this paper to turn up as I got a good deal on a mailorder price.  Everyone else must think so too, as its backordered.

I've been setting up a new printer tonight.  I had an early Christmas gift of an Epson Artisan 810 that virtually stands on its head and spits nickels.  The reviews of this printer are excellent and I haven't found anyone to say anything bad about it so far.  It has a six color process (Black, Cyan, Light Cyan, Magenta, Light Magenta, Yellow) and with the appropriate paper, produces the artistic, “giclée” level prints that Epson’s higher-end inkjets have built their reputation on.  And its wireless technology so I can lose some of my spagetti junction in the studio.


I just need to figure it all out, one function at a time.




2 comments:

Robyn Sinclair said...

Your new printer sounds marvellous, Jeanette. I've just been reading about it. Trying not to be envious. Enjoy :)

sue said...

The printer does sound marvelous, but I'm loving these portraits, Jeanette! Beautiful, as always.