I'm frustrated with being unable to get the watercolour/ice mix just right to work on some planned images. The weather is cold enough, but its just not working for me. I just end up with sludge. So I'm leaving that for a bit and concentrating on some more work with the masa paper and this portrait.
Here's another version of the clementine done on the coloured masa. The shadow took over and I made the mistake of trying to correct it on the paper which then turned to tissue consistency. But it makes for interesting shapes and lines within the piece. Its looking like a very old clementine now! Well worth playing with later. For now, I've turned this little piece into a greeting card that will go onto my Etsy store soon as an original and print version. I used a thinned glue to put the masa onto a black card then rolled it with a brayer to eliminate the wrinkles in the paper.
Its still in early stages of washes so is looking rather pale. I don't want to overdo it, but I do want some life in it. I think I am being too controlled in it. It looks a bit precise right now and I want a looser image, yet still keeping the likeness.
I have a concept for a sheet of masa but will experiment first then show you. I sometimes rush ahead and like a five year old, throw my work online saying 'look, see what I made!' before its ready. My first experiments with masa were just that experiments, but I have a better idea now of how it responds and what to do with it to make it respond accordinly. Its quite strong when dry, but fragile when wet, so once the background colour is in and dried, you can paint on the smooth side but its pretty much a one shot deal, especially if you usually tend to apply lots of layers.