Thursday, January 06, 2011

Light and contrast



I've spent this evening looking at other artists' interpretations of water and feeling, in varying degrees, in awe, exhilarated and depressed, wondering if my water paintings will actually resemble water or not.

I wanted to have a more impressionistic view of water than the piece I'm currently working on of the wave hitting the rocks.  With each piece I learn a little more about water and reflections.  I know reflections are all about light and contrast and if I concentrate on getting those right, I should be on the path to success.  That and a lot of practice.

So I tried a looser technique in oils on a 6 x 6 gallery canvas. The setting sun was just hitting the top of the ripples adding a hint of yellow/orange to the light. It needs some stronger contrasts I think that will give the surface that reflective quality that makes it look like water.

As I continue on my study of water, I have added another list of blogs to my sidebar - that of artists who paint water.  I will add names and blogs or websites as I come across them, and if you know of any that may be useful, please let me know.

8 comments:

Pat said...

It reads as water to me - I think its pretty good :)

Sandra Busby said...

This really does look like water! I like it - it's expressive and so has movement. Brilliant!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Pat, I appreciate your support. I think I'll bump up the contrasts in it a bit more to give a bit more impact.

Sandra, thank you. I like the overall feel of it, but it does need a bit more depth I think.

Carolyn A. Pappas said...

Check out Amy Arntson. I think you'll enjoy her paintings of water.

Jean Spitzer said...

I agree with the others, that it looks like water.

Watching as you develop this area of study will be fascinating. I look forward to it.

Christiane Kingsley said...

Jeanette, I agree with the previous posters that this certainly reads beautifully as water. However, as you stated in your previous post, your mind's eye sees something else and, knowing your determination and your talent, you will succeed in translating to paper exactly what you see in your head! Meanwhile, we are all enjoying your water paintings:-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeanette! This painting has movement--just like real water. You have done really well capturing many features of water, but wiggly-wet is the best of them.

Linda Roberson said...

p.s. the comment above was by me, Linda Roberson :-)