Thursday, March 31, 2011

A little more



I'm inching my way forward with this coloured pencil piece, not sure if I'm losing some of the likeness in places, but its still early days yet and time to tweak later.


The left side of the face is in fairly heavy shadow, so I'm working out my palette on a scrap of paper to ensure I get it right before trying to experiment on the portrait itself.  Colour swatches on spare scraps of the same paper are a god send and save time and frustration.

Self portraits are always interesting and I find out something new about myself with each one.  Perhaps April should be Self Portrait Month and everyone try one.  Its a very useful exercise.

6 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Great start. You always have such good ideas. I've only done sketches of myself, just may have to try this.

NL Nature said...

Hi there,
Just saw your blog. Great work! Thanks for sharing it.

"JeanneG" said...

You are doing a good job. I think the eyes are really you. Iusually do one sp a year. Maybe this time I will do a watercolor to go with the one of my husband I painted.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Oh do Jo, I'd love to see you complete a self portrait. I know you'd enjoy it.

Thanks NL Nature

Good idea Jeanne, a wc portrait of you would be a wonderful companion piece for the one you did of Bill.

Hedera said...

I do like the unfinished aspect of this work Jeanette. There's a sense of mystery - the eyes draw you in...
Love portraits!!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Yes, I know what you mean Hedera. There is something ethereal about unfinished portraits, almost like ghosts from the past.