Sunday, May 13, 2012
I offered a spring challenge awhile ago and agreed to take part in it. Why I'll never know as I really dislike painting flowers in any form. I know I can create form and colour but for some reason flowers just don't appeal to me at all. I put up this mental block against them. But because I'd agreed to join in, I figured I'd better show willing and have a try with the tulips.
I wanted to try a wax batik again and the contrasts in the colours of these flowers should work with this technique I used unryu paper, a mix of beewax and paraffin and watercolour to build layers. The process itself is quite quick to produce, as it seems once you get going, you want to see it through to the end to see the final result. The layers of wax, as they build, mask the final piece which isn't revealed until all the wax is removed.
Because I'd run out of ginwashi paper I tried the unryu but its a bit more fragile and doesn't take to scrunching as well before the final application of pigment and there are a couple of tears in the surface. This is an easy fix as once its on a backing paper of the same surface its not noticeably. The distinctive patterning that is batik isn't as strong as a result of less cracking in manipulating the paper less. But the effect is there and does read batik. The fibres in the unryu also help achieve the pattern.
I usually put a piece of parchment or wax paper behind the paper to make peeling it off easier but grabbed a cutoff of foam core board instead this time. The board has a slick surface, and releases the wax easily.
What I found when I removed the piece was the ghost of the original painting on the foam board. It seemed too good an opportunity to waste, so adding more paint to the surface gave version two of the tulips. I wasn't respecting rules or shapes a lot in this piece and let water and pigment run and mix on the surface, which acts much like yupo.
The batik is about 12 x 15" and similar size on the foam board.