Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Weekend Warriors update


This is an update on the Weekend Warriors and while I'm still refining the boats, I'm working on the water to anchor them and show movement of current and wind.

Painting a water surface involves layers of colour and glazes to achieve the sense of depth and movement in the water.   Its interesting how a turn of the brush can create a completely new feeling in a piece.  Manganese blue, ultramarine deep, pthalo turquoise, indigo and titanium white are creating the water and work well against the brighter colours of the boats. Once I have more layers and glazes on the water, i can move onto the tiny details that pull it all together, then on to the next piece.

 


3 comments:

suzanneberry said...

so peaceful and ethereal. i can hear the water lapping up on the sides of the boats. beautifully done. i hope you are well my friend. i've missed you.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Suz, water makes the world a calmer place, or so I think. It has to be in my daily life and keeps me sane. Or is that insane??

Its good to hear from you, you have been in my thoughts and missed.

Diane Hoeptner said...

Oooh shimmery water goodness, the close up really illustrates that! Beautiful!!