Friday, April 07, 2017

Procrastination

 Origami Boats
Charcoal

Procrastination is the avoidance of doing a task which needs to be accomplished. It is the practice of doing more pleasurable things in place of less pleasurable ones, or carrying out less urgent tasks instead of more urgent ones, thus putting off impending tasks to a later time.

Procrastination comes with all sorts of labels around it to justify its existence and the slow the inevitable - the performance of an impending task.  I'll do it tomorrow or next week.  I'd rather draw this now instead of the commission. I'll just watch this next episode and then start painting.  Etc., etc., etc.   I know, because I do it all the time and if I am not careful a day can be wasted and no meaningful art is created.  This can cause stress and increase deadline pressures and make my job as an artist not as pleasant.


Procrastination is about time management.  We all have the same 24 hour period to fit activities, meals, exercise, recreation, sleeping, etc. into.  What we make room for shows its level of importance in our life.  And how disciplined we are in sticking to a time allotment, once we truly want to do something makes a big difference.

Procrastination in art students tells me a lot about how serious they are about learning.  If homework was "forgotten" or they were "too busy" to practice guides me in understanding whether they want to remain hobbyists or take art to a more accomplished level.

4 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Excellent post about procrastination. But don't forget that some procrastination (esp. in regard to our art) is based in fear = fear of ruining a good start or fear of not being able to do something the teacher thinks we should be able to do. I know I have that fear when it comes to really getting involved with drawing. I know I must practice to get better and perhaps I need to practice every day - but I procrastinate about it. Wonder what our lives would be if we could rid ourselves of fear?

Jennifer Rose said...

i'm procrastinating on finishing 2 essays for uni...I have 3 weeks lol more than enough time....(hopefully lol) I blame the busted elbow for lack of motivation :/

the 3 projects that are due in a month I really should get finished tho lol

Jeanette Jobson said...

I think we all have varying degrees of fear when it comes to making art. Some kinds prevent any kind of forward movement or freedom of expression.

I have some trepidation that mostly turns to frustration when paintings don't go as I want. Its usually when I rush. But I know how to fix that with techniques in the medium or have the ability to dump what I'm doing and start over.

I'm not sure where fears come from. Maybe based in childhood or a demanding teacher or an overly critical instructor. The stubborness in me would always win over with a kind of "I'll show them" attitude.

I have fears of many things, but making art is not one of them. After all its only paper or canvas and paint, right?

Jeanette Jobson said...

Jen, pain is a prime de-motivator for anything creative, including writing.

I hope the elbow issue can be resolved soon, its gone on far too long for you.

Good luck with the assignments. You can do this! An assistant would be nice. :)