Friday, February 15, 2019

Beginnings, middles and ends



Paintings are almost like books or films with predictable processes - and unpredictable results. 

They have a beginning where I have an idea, some thumbnail sketches and a colour study.  It's like starting an introduction to the characters and setting the scene if it were a book.

The middle is where the action starts.  I put down paint, change ideas and colours and sometimes even scrape back the whole piece and restart! It can be unpredictable.  I know that sounds odd but I often don't know just how the painting will turn out as it evolves so much over time.  The plot thickens as the paint is applied and decisions are made and reversed.

Finally, the end is in sight, where I can see the goal.  Suddenly one day, after hours and days of work, that "light bulb moment" happens and things all start to fall into place.  My favourite part is the end.  At that point I can forget form and values and concentrate on details and touches of colour that bring a painting to life.   Once I can add no more and am simply fiddling with paint, I know its time to call it finished.

This painting is at that final stage now where I can start adding detail.  It is a restart over an previous work (Recycling) and has gone through its stages.  Each stage has its own challenges and rewards but for me, the end is sweet.

6 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

its a great looking yellow textured boat :)

I dont have the patience for painting any more lol too many steps :p

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks for the process. It is very “book” like. Fun to see the completion.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Jen and I don't have the patience to work in graphics and illustration. It seems so complex.


Jo, it is always a surprise to me just how a painting will turn out as there is an element of surprise and evolution in each one no matter what its origins.

RH Carpenter said...

A golden beauty!!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Dories are so traditional here...or were, as the wooden ones have become much scarcer with the advent of fibreglass boats. So when I find a traditional wooden dory, I'm in my element. The yellow are a classic colour as Grand Bank dories were originally used for fishing in the Grand Banks off Newfoundland and brought to see on large ships then lowered into the water. The yellow colour was more easily seen in harsh weather and fog.

Jennifer Rose said...

Graphics isnt hard, sometimes tedious but the programs do so much of the work lol