Monday, August 20, 2007

Memories

Junior
9 x 12 graphite
copyright Jeanette Jobson 2007

My mother phoned me tonight in a tizzy. She'd found an old diary from 1946 and sat up til 2am last night reading it and recalling the past, which for whatever reason, upset her.

So now she wants me to locate people who she knew in 1946 during the second World War. These were British and Canadian soldiers at the time who spent Christmas with her relatives and she was sent to amuse them or at least give them someone more their age to talk with. The fact that they were in uniform and probably way more interesting than the locals likely never entered into it....

Now thinking of someone you knew 61 years ago and actually FINDING someone you knew 61 years ago, let alone finding someone in a different country is pretty slim. An address in 1946 may now be the car park for a supermarket or hotel or the person may be dead as they would now be older than my mother and she is 83.

But she's not considering these options. Jeanette, Wonder Woman, will stop her life and find these people, as I really have nothing else to do, do I?

So if anyone knows of a David Sidney Gipson, last known address Rosemount, Tenterdon, Kent or a Richard A Bryant, Knowlton, Quebec, let me know. These gentlemen would be in their mid to late 80's if they are still alive.

Make an old woman happy and give me less stress.

7 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

If you have more info about what type of soldier they were it might make the search easier. Sadly the search for the men would probably be easier if they have passed on, possibly find an obituary.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Yes, it would. Sadly after 61 years have elapsed, her memory of what regiment,etc they belonged to is minimal.

I'll see what I can find, but it may be a futile search.

Anita said...

I've missed your blog as I have been on my travels - had a happy hour this afternoon catching up. Can't think of many better ways to pass an idle moment! Lovely to see all your work. The oil of the boat is very nice!

Billie Crain said...

i thank my lucky stars my Dad lived and died in the same town he was born in. he loved to reminisce in his later years. all i had to do was drive him around and he'd recall memories of something that happened there(usually a hunting trip with his 7 brothers) in his youth. when he left the Navy, HE LEFT THE NAVY! that's one thing he never talked about much..at least not to me. i found out so much more about that time in his life after he died and i was going thru albums my mother had put together during the war.

i guess as we reach your mother's age all we'll have is our memories, too. try to keep your wig on, Jeanette. i'll be rootin' for ya.:)

LOVE the dog!! that oil isn't bad either!

Making A Mark said...

Jeanette - I don't know if this helps but Gipson is not at all usual even with Google.co.uk

but I found this - right county - maybe the Sales Director is a relative?

Waterloo Air Products plc
Quarry Wood Industrial Estate
Mills Road
Aylesford
ME20 7NB(Road Map)
Kent
Tel: 01622 717861
Fax: 01622 710648
Internet: www.waterloo.co.uk

Sales Director - Carl Gipson
Managing Director - John Osmant

Jeanette Jobson said...

Glad to see you again Anita, you were missed. I have a lot of catching up to do with oil. My first attempt was weak and I need to be bolder and not so stingy with the paint. :)

Billie, my mother has a ton of diaries going back more years than you'd care to think about. Perhaps there's an interesting story or two in there.

I am trying to stay sane however my mother does believe that I can drop everything and deal with her newest need. I try.

Dear Katherine...what would I do without you? You are so good to look this up for me. I will make contact and see if there is any lead on this. They may probably think I'm nutty, but I'll try.

Anonymous said...

Who's that fella in the family that likes to dig up the family history? He'd be a good one to pass this job onto.

Sorcha